Thursday, April 29, 2010

Rockin' Cuban food

For all you folks out there looking for a culinary treat, let me introduce you to Habana. It is a fabulous Cuban restaurant in Austin (2 locations - 6th St. and S. Congress near St. Ed's). I first went there for the first time a number of years ago with a coworker who grew up in Miami and eating Cuban food. The best thing there can be summed up in 1 word - PORK! Yowsah! Lechon asada...it is fork tender perfectly seasoned pork heaven! In pork heaven also is there Cuban sandwich - ham, pork, Swiss cheese, mustard, and pickles all between Cuban bread and squished to heat. I personally don't like pickles so I get mine without but it is fantastic. Moving into the beef portion of the show, ropa vieja! It's delicious! Again, perfectly seasonsed and very tender. They also have great appetizers. The best one is mariquitas served w/ mojo sauce. Mariquitas are very thinly sliced plantain chips that are fried. The sauce, mojo, is crack! Okay, not really but it is so addicting that it might as well be. It is a thick, pork seasonsed w/ some tomato and seasoning sauce that is seriously incredible. To help get the food down, they have great drinks. Mojitos and Cuban martinis (black cherry rum, cane sugar, and lime)are the best. To finish off the night, they have my favorite tres leches in town. It has cinnamon on the top and just the right amount of "leches" so it isn't too wet or too dry. It's perfect.
Should you ever want to go and can't find anyone brave enough to go with you, just give me a call. I'll be very happy to accompany you!
Let me know what you think of this restaurant or any of the others I've reviewed. Let me know if I steered you right!

No comments:

Post a Comment